Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Almost Done

First things first. I wish all of you a restful and safe Memorial Day weekend. No school on Monday! Yippee!!!!!

With that said, I have given back to you your index cards with your goals that you wrote down the very first day of school. Do not loose this card because it will be counted as points towards your final exam essay.
Final Exam Essay:
**Your essay will address whether you met your goals or not for this year. You need to clearly state your goals, whether you met them or not, explain why you did or didn't and make sure you include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Use the skills we have worked on all year to show me your best writing.
It is your choice whether you would like to type up your final exam essay or not.
~Alternate final exam topic (for those that did not have me at the beginning of the school year only): What skills or lessons have you learned in my class that have been the most helpful?

Tuesday, June 1st my former students are coming to speak about their college experience. I passed out the green forms and those will be your pass out of class when they make the announcement. The presentation will be during 4th period from around 10-11:30. Make sure you think of some questions that you would like to ask them. This is a great opportunity -- take advantage.

Now that I have closed out the gradebook for the 4th nine weeks I would like to make some final observations.
1. Meeting deadlines -- Most of you learned this early on in the year and your grades reflect the responsibility of turning assignments in on time. Others of you have still not learned and I am sorry to say will continue to suffer not only academically, but also when you enter the workforce.
2. Lack of effort -- Most of your end of the year projects were creative and followed directions. Others were lacking (you know who you are). I know it is the end of the year and we all want to be done, but throwing something together without effort is not going to earn you a good grade. You should always try your best no matter how tired or unmotivated you are.
3. Don't bite the hand that feeds you -- Many of you have taken advantage of my kindness and understanding this year. To put it in SAT terms, I am a magnanimous person, but can only take so much. If you did not get a good grade this nine weeks you have no one to blame but yourself. Do not come asking me for a second chance because I have given you more than that. Some of you may not have gotten your 5 points needed for the second half of the year. You still have the final exam to make it happen.

Let's finish out the year strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment